Wednesday, June 22, 2005

 

Rock Concert (kinda)

Went to see Richard Thompson and Madeleine Peyroux at Chautauqua in Boulder hours ago last night with my friend Jeffrey (he's going through a divorce). The vaunted acoustics at the Auditorium (read barn-like structure) failed Richard Thompson, who was solo. If I hadn't already memorized the lyrics from constant listening to the few CDs and albums I own, it was hard to follow the songs. You just couldn't hear the words. Great guitar work and clever lyrics (the ones we could hear). I think I saw him at the Fillmore, San Francisco in 1971, with Fairport Convention after Sandy Denny died, but I could be mistaken. What's that, 34 years ago? Ouch. I'm a big fan and the new song abut New Zealand was great. New album in August, he said. I'm up. My favorite line of the night is from the semi-classic 1952 Vincent Black Lightning: "Red hair and black leather, my favourite colour scheme". (Notice the Brit spellings).
Madeleine Peyroux is hard to classify. Her band--piano, bass and drums--were like the jazz trio in a bar at the Holiday Inn in a big city, but in a good way. But in front of them is a gawky, French looking girl on the edge of pretty, with a guitar with incredibly squeaky frets, and a good voice but weird phrasing and purposefully flat notes that Fiona Appel at her most experimental would never think of trying. A jazz voice made for blues (that's my classification). I liked her a lot. Jeffrey says her first song of the set, Don't wait too long, was getting a lot of radio play. Good for her. She's clearly an American, but she sang la vie en rose just like Edith Piaf. Check this girl out.

Comments:
did you have to mention that your friend Jeffery was going through a divorce?? That's not nice :)

Sounds like you had some semi-fun...ok bye
 
It was the reason I went with him, to cheer him up, but you're right, I shouldn't have mentioned it. Hey, which one do you want to go with me to. Keb Mo or Shawn Colvin and Lyle Lovitt?
 
I went with a couple of work friends to see Eric Johnson in Boulder on Tuesday. I profusely apologize for not inviting you to come along - i found out about it very last minute. He played to a half full little club called Boulder Theater I think, and gave a dazzling display of virtuoso electric guitar playing (playing with oneself, some might say!). Three piece band, v. loud, v. satisfying! late night though!
 
Much appreciated for giving us astounding data approximately this. I do not have any thought of almost this. Presently I got the finest thought approximately this concert. I will certainly go these sorts of concert and i will purchase the tickets from events tonight near me.

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?