Saturday, July 09, 2005

 

Red Rocks

Went to see Lyle Lovett and his large band last night at Red Rocks amphitheater. Shawn Colvin was the opening act. The people behind me talked loudly through Shawn Colvin's entire set and half of Lovett's. I mean why go to a concert if you can't talk over the music? She wore too busy a top over camouflage pants either Russian or commercial camouflage from nowhere. Oh, and a British driving hat. Not my idea of the sublime, even though I usually love girls in camo.

Lovett has a voice on the edge of syrupy, but I like it. The Gospel set was good and the Bluegrass encore was pretty good (with Bluegrass there's something missing in every song--I've phrased that badly; every song is about loss). The weather was just about perfect.

Some of Lovett's songs, and I mean famous ones, leave me absolutely cold (Penguins and If I Had a Boat for example) while with some of the more complex verses, which are pretty good poetry, the music is too bland. I might be nit-picking here. I think he's most comfortable with Country or Country-Rock, but there's big band jazz in plenty of his songs and he had a great jazz style pianist (Cox?) playing with him last night. Good show.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?