Sunday, August 28, 2005

 

Short TV Blog

It's less than 11 hours until Rome starts on HBO. I might be a little excited about that. The critics are less than enthusiastic. I bet they can't read Latin. Not that I can.

FX, which has the solid dramas, Over There, Rescue Me and The Shield, also started showing two comedies, and I use that term advisedly, Starved and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
I've been giving them a chance, but neither has made me laugh yet. No, I take that back, the mad Munchkin was pretty funny but that lasted, what?, 3 seconds. Here are some examples of the suave, subtle humor these shows have (perhaps so subtle we all miss it)--in Starved, one of the four leads comes out of the doctor's office after getting an enema with water spurting out of his ass onto people sitting in the waiting room (gross, not funny); in Sunny, one of the four leads hits a girl (who has a penis--actually that was somewhat funny) right in the nose. Man, what a knee slapper! I'm giving them another week or so but I'm inclined to say FX should stick with drama.

Comments:
Rome looked passable from what I saw of it. Seems to be following Colleen McCullough story lines, which is not a bad thing.
 
De Gustibus... notwithstanding, Over There has its moments. Give it one more chance. And yes, Rome was great. Best scene of Mithraic conversion. Ever. (Except there would have been a lot more blood in real life).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?