Monday, November 28, 2005

 

Catholic Hagiolatry



I've been a Catholic for only about a decade now and there are plenty of lifelong Catholics who know more about the religion than I do. Just as many who don't, too. One thing that has always fascinated me is the huge number of Saints and statues the Church has and the vapors many of the faithful get when a pancake shows a likeness of Jesus or a statue of the Blessed Virgin shows a stain. Like the two on the left.

Many people believe that the tears we shed from time to time come from the tear ducts in the corner of the eye. Not true. The tears come from lachrimal tissue all around the eyes. The tear ducts drain the excess into the nose, which needs blowing when we cry. Gravity causes the tears to spill over and slide down the face. So what's with the stain above the midpoint of the Blessed Left Eye? I know it's a little much to ask for verisimilitude in a miracle involving a statue of the Virgin Mary, Mother of God, but clearly this is not the statue, or Mary, crying.

It's either a fraud or it's some sort of weird seepage through the top of the graven image.

Others in Sacramento disagree.

Comments:
Everyday there seems to be another one of these stories. Mother Tereasa's face toasted onto a english muffin?

Here's a link to, what I feel, is a one of the weirdest of all:

http://www.culturalfarming.com/Pineal%20Logic/PL%20movies/StainMadonna2.movm
 
Fascinating site--thanks for giving me directions to it. The only down side was more soporific music by Brian Ferry. I think I'll watch the Glenn Ford clip next.
 
Expanding the movie clip to fill the time slot for the song was very interesting. I believe the movie is The Big Heat by Fritz Lang.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?