Friday, January 20, 2006

 

False Memories

25 years ago, I believe to the day, my parents, wife and I were at the stock show in Denver watching the last rodeo I ever saw live. The announcer was overcome with emotion for the back then recent release of the Iran hostages after 444 days in barbarous captivity (and perhaps with the inauguration speech of Ronald Reagan). He couldn't shut up about how proud we were to be Americans again. Then he said, "Let's all bow our heads and say a short prayer of thanks to which ever God you pray to for the safe return of the hostages, and if you don't believe in a God, then say a prayer of thanks to President Reagan." Or something like that.

I was the only one who laughed.

Comments:
I'm not laughing now. Reagan was great. I just had the hardest time taking him seriously because I had seen so many of his pretty bad movies. If he was a lightweight actor, how could he be a heavyweight politician. More fool I.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?