Sunday, February 19, 2006

 

British Oscars

I just watched the British Oscars on BBC America (after a repeat of my favorite What Not to Wear, with the queen bitches Trinny and Susannah (I'm kidding--they're very nice)) and mostly American films and actors won. In what was was it British other than it took place in England? They did have a category best British film and I guess all 5 British films made last year were in the running for it. The witty Stephen Fry was the host and started clever pretending to be a Public School master, but he became insufferable in his effuse praise after just a little bit. Nothing Clooney was involved with won anything big (or anything at all if memory serves). Ang Lee took best director for Brokeback Mountain. Jake Gyllenhaal won best supporting actor but Heath Ledger did not win best actor (that honor went to Philip Seymour Hoffman for pretending to be Capote). So the Brits got it ass backwards because Gyllenhaal sucked and Ledger was great. Best Actress was Reece Witherspoon but she didn't show and Christina Ricci accepted for her. I didn't even know they were friends. Best Supporting Actress was Thandie Newton for Crash. Oh, and Brokeback Mountain won best picture. Anyone care to bet against my predictions (which I'll post here) for the real Oscars in a few weeks? I didn't think so.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?