Tuesday, February 28, 2006

 

The Caprica Starbucks

I have to admit that I don't know what intelligent machines would do for fun, and even if you gave me a thousand years to think about it, I wouldn't be able to imagine it. (Neither could the writers for the latest episode of Battlestar Galactica). Apparently they do the exact same things out of work actors do--they work out in their apartments to loud, bad rock music and they hang out drinking half decaf vente lattes at the local coffee place. I guess I'd thought they'd just plug into a recharger like the Borg. Who is to say they wouldn't? Wouldn't sex be a bigger item, at least with the number 6s?

I did like the fact that Caprica Six has Gaius Baltar on her brain just as he has her on his, but both have a much more sure, smart and hip version of the other in their imaginations, as is appropriate. I also like it that Six is actually in love with Baltar, and I no longer doubt her.

Grace Park is very pretty and she seemed nice at last year's Starcon, but she can't really act, can she? I thought Xena was looking pretty good; I really like the new doo.

I had no idea what the submachine gun that Starbuck's main squeeze was using ineffectually, but the handgun he had (and failed to hit anything with) was a Desert Eagle in .50. It's a huge, manly weapon, but I wouldn't want to carry it down the crack of my ass. Six stashed it quickly there, but she's a cylon, so it made some sort of sense.

I've never seen a dead baby (and I hope I never do) but wouldn't the unhappy couple at least suspect something? I know Helo is not the brightest bulb in the sign, but wouldn't Sharon II at least have the thought?

With turning Caprica into the city of the human-like cylons wandering around just like, well, humans, their war against humanity is looking less like revenge for an unjustifiable slavery of different, but sentient beings and more like lebensraum for the self-styled superior beings. I know that the writers have gone to great pains to have us suspect that the cylons were somewhat justified in their genocide, by putting a lot of guilt on the survivors and questioning whether it is a good thing for humanity to survive, but I'm seeing the cylons as not just inhuman, but actually evil; and whatever the humans have to do to win from now on, I'm OK with.

Of course the two Heroes of the Cylons have crossed over and are now indistinguishable from humans. They get to stay.

Comments:
good comments on the story and I agree with most of the Roger I think boomer and Halo didnt suspect anything because the doctor told them the baby was having trouble when he delivered the infant early so we will have to wait and see what happens there
and once more good post
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?