Thursday, March 30, 2006

 

More Rock Sellouts

I've been watching more TV and hearing more old rock and roll standards used for advertising, and I've decided that I'm not OK with it. Have the old groups let the copyright on their song lapse?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours--Stevie Wonder--Mercury cars

Every Day is a Winding Road--Cheryl Crow--Subaru (Lance hears that line, "Every day I'm a whining bitch")

Right Here Right Now--Fatboy Slim--Nissan Trucks

I'm Not Like Everybody Else--Boss Hog--IBM

In a Gadda Da Vida--Iron Butterfly--Fidelity Investments (not all bands in the Golden Age were good)

Time of the Season--Zombies--Fidelity Investments

Don't Stop--Fleetwood Mac--Cosmeo.com (although they sold out to President Clinton before this)

Comments:
Since when is Fat Boy Slim an "old rock and roll standard?"

I am impressed you know who he is actually.

I think some of those are lapsed copyrights, some they may have sold long ago, and some of it is just plain greed.

But as Fee Waybill said after the the release of "She's a Beauty"... "Hey, I've been in this business for 20 years, do you mind if I make a little money?"
 
I always thought after Clinton was elected: "The good news is he is inaugurating his administration w/ Rock 'n Roll. The bad news is, he's playing Fleetwood Mac."
 
I liked original Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green?) with a lot of double lead guitar blues songs and hard-to-pidgeonhole gems like Black Magic Woman and Oh, Well. It's been a long, long slide downhill since then.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?