Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

Walking On The Moon

I have to admit that the bloom was off the rose between the time the first couple of astronauts went up into space or orbited the earth and the time they landed on the moon on this day in 1969 (nearly forty years ago). I slept through it. I'm led to believe I didn't miss much.

Over the years we have all heard what Neil Armstrong said upon first stepping on the moon. I think he flubbed his line but he doesn't see any mistake. Let's compare his version to what I maintain is the correct one.

"That's one small step for Man, one giant leap for Mankind." (bad real version--missing indefinite article)

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for Mankind." (corrected fantasy version--indefinite article restored)

I am so convinced of the rightness of my version that whenever they play the clip (as they did today a lot) at the pause in the middle, I always yell out--"a man" or "a man, you moron." I can't help it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?