Monday, August 28, 2006

 

Rock Sellouts--Part IV

Here are some more bands, songs and advertisers who are picking the dead bones of long eclipsed talents or sucking the marrow out of newer lesser acts. This set took some effort.

Sam Adams Beer -- George Thorogood & the Destroyers Who Do You Love? Listen

Lee Jeans -- Stevie Wonder Sir Duke Listen

Coors Beer -- Fatboy Slim Right Here, Right Now Listen

Hallmark Cards -- Earth, Wind and Fire Singasong Listen

Qwest -- Beatles Got to Get You Into My Life

DirecTV -- Thunderclap Newman Something in the Air Listen

AT&T -- Oasis All Around the World Listen

Budweiser Select -- Chemical Brothers Galvanize Listen

Dite Coke (and DirecTV) -- BodyRockers I Like the Way Listen

HBO -- Zero 7 In the Waiting Line Listen

Saab -- Paul Oakenfold Ready, Steady, Go Listen

General Motors -- Everclear AM Radio Listen

American Express -- Minotaur Shock Museli Listen

Citibank -- Camper Van Beethoven Guradian Angels Listen

Hummer -- DMX Ruff Riders' Anthem Listen

I enjoy Quicksilver Messenger Service's version of Who Do You Love? and by a wide margain. The bravest advertiser is Hummer. How did they find a section for the commercial without the n-word or a curse word?

Comments:
I've now read in a couple of places that "Got to get you Into My Life" is about reefer, not a woman. Paul Mc. wrote it and he's always been a serious head. Its a really underated song- I thought it was the highpoint of Revolver, but few critics seem to agree with me.
 
I liked it but I never thought it was about any drug. Hmmm.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?