Tuesday, September 26, 2006

 

This Day in American History

On this day in 1820, Daniel Boone dies at age 86 in Franklin County, Missouri. Born in Pennsylvania, Boone is remembered for exploring and opening up the Kentucky part of the Virginia Colony to settlers. During one of his less successful forays there in 1773, stopped by the Indians, Boone and his family retreated to the Clinch river in Virginia where he had some contact with my forefathers over the next few years. He even wrote my ancestors a letter, which one of us still has. The man couldn't spell 'cat' twice the same way in the same sentence, but I was always struck by the pervasive religious content in it.

Comments:
My favorite Daniel Boone story is when , in his old age, he was asked if he'd ever gotten lost in the wilderness. He replied to the effect of: 'I was never lost, but I was once bewildered for a few days.'
 
Good story--it rings the faintest of bells for me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?