Monday, November 27, 2006

 

Comparing Apples to Oranges

The Associated (with Terrorists) Press reporter Tom Raum wrote a story this weekend stating that the war in Iraq has lasted longer than United States involvement in WWII. He's wrong. He's comparing the clash between armies in uniform to the occupation of the defeated country. WWII lasted, for us, just under 4 years (December 7, 1941 to September 2, 1945). The war in Iraq, which should be called Gulf War II, lasted just a few weeks (March 19, 2003 to April 9, 2003--the fall of Baghdad).

The Allies' occupation of Germany after the surrender on May 8, 1945 lasted nearly 10 years, until May 5, 1955, but if you count an occupation as foreign troops remaining on bases in the conquered country then the occupation of Germany has lasted 61 years and is still ongoing. The occupation of Japan ended on April 28, 1952, although we still have military bases in Japan.

The occupation of Iraq has been slightly different from the occupation of Germany (the insurgents have been much more numerous than the Werewolves). Japan was a pretty peaceful nation under the US occupation. But those differences don't effect the start and stop dates for the war fighting.

It has been a pretty bloody occupation though. Especially for Iraqis by Iraqis.

UPDATE: Now the war against Jihadists, that's still going on, and some of it is taking place in Iraq. If you want to put the start date of 9/11/01 on that wider war, that's OK with me (even though it started under President Carter). This new world war may well last a 100 years, unless we go nuclear early.

Comments:
I would take a look at casualties. How many troops were the U.S. losing post Sept. 2nd 1945.

That nuclear comment was a joke, right?
 
I have a whole long book about the Werewolves in 1944 and '45 but I have not read it and I don't plan to anytime soon. I think the number is about 90 or so but I don't know if that is dead or dead and wounded. Not very many.

I am not joking, but I am not advocating the first use of nuke weapons either. I think Iran will nuke Tel Aviv, some group of Jihadists will nuke NYC or DC and we and the Israelis will reach out and touch some people, pre 2010 (but then I though we Republicans would hold the House and Senate in November, 2006, so what do I know?)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?