Tuesday, December 19, 2006

 

A Painless Execution

With the Republican stalwart governor of Florida, Jeb Bush, putting a moratorium on executions by lethal injection because one murderer held on for over half an hour, and some federal judge in California (but not the Ninth Circuit this time) putting a halt on lethal injections unless they can be absolutely painless, I have been trying to think about absolutely painless methods of execution. It's tough; it's a short list. I mean if you can't execute a murderer because the very first shot of pain killer to block the pain of further injections might sting a little bit, the options are pretty limited.

Here they are:


That's all I can think of. This is not as easy as it sounds. Having the government put someone to death is itself pretty cruel and we hope it's unusual. I mean you wouldn't call execution a friendly act.

Comments:
A big explosion would probably do the job, too. And if you added the right salts to the explosives, it could be even more festive.

Oooh! Aaaah!
 
Life in prison. Cheaper than an execution and allows for the possibility of release should new evidence be presented.
 
Doug, cool, but too messy. Mike, there are some people we should not make even the other prisoners have to live with. I am resigned to mistakes being made in our human justice system (I convicted a guy who later convinced me he was innocent) but I am no less outraged by the guilty not being found so than I am with the guiltless being convicted. Either way (because of recidivism) innocents suffer. Thanks both for your comments.
 
Rog,

Better late than never. I oppose capital punishment. I also believe that some people should never breathe free air.

THere is no cathrsis in the way we execute criminals. If we made executions public, there might be, but then we are drifting into "cruel and unusal."

Better to lock them up and throw away the key and as PT pointed out, it is cheaper that way.

T
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?