Wednesday, January 24, 2007

 

In Praise of Younger, Southern Women

There was a time, years ago, when I thought that the women who would talk to me were inferior to me and my male friends intellectually. I was the idiot though; it was just that the women had different interests and so could not engage me enjoyably on subjects of conversation in which I was interested, indeed, passionate about. They just didn't care about what I cared about. Many of them were actually smarter than I was. No, duh!

I've looked at the blogs I read regularly and noticed this bit of spatial congruity: Three of the four women bloggers I like best are all southern women, many years my junior, and they're all in North Carolina: Betsy Newmark, Sister Toldjah and Lorie Bird at Wizbang (formerly of Polipundit). Well worth reading, every day.

Oh, and the fourth is Michelle Malkin, who lives near DC, which technically is in the South, but not really. I'd read more if I had the time.

UPDATE: Forbes magazine on line listed the 25 most influential people on the Web and only 4 were women and of them only two were actual bloggers. Xeni Jardin (from Richmond, VA--yeah, a hometowner makes good) and Violet Blue (from San Francisco) who only writes about sex. The other two were Jessica Lee Rose, an actress who had a huge following on YouTube pretending to be videoblogger Lonelygirl 15 (Bree) and right cute Amanda Congdon who also used to videoblog as a sort of news reader.

A paltry 16% of the list women? Do I detect a whiff of my old chauvinism at Forbes?

Comments:
Distant past, S.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?