Saturday, January 27, 2007

 

My Family Connection to American Armed Forces

01/18/07 - U.S. Navy Sailors take their final walk down the brow of the rescue and salvage ship USS Salvor (ARS 52) at the ship's decommissioning ceremony at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Jan. 12, 2007. The ship was transferred to the Military Sealift Command (MSC) upon decommissioning and will be manned by MSC civil service mariners and is now USNS Salvor (T-ARS 52). (U. S. Navy photo by William R. Goodwin).

The Salvor was commanded for just under two years prior to decommissioning by my younger cousin Colby--that's his family name--by Lt. Commander John C. Howard, whom I last saw when he was 6 running around his living room in Norton, VA, busting caps (real caps) in his six-shooter replicas at imaginary Indians and assorted bad guys. He has a great family--his mother, who is my father's youngest sister, Francis, a finally showing his age dad, who has the obligatory southern double first name, Joe Tom, and two beautiful and talented older sisters, Rebecca and Caroline, with whom I always look forward to playing charades at reunions; and his own family of which I remember too little to post. I wish I knew Colby better. I admire him greatly for his career choice and success there. And I hope he gets a new ship soon.

Comments:
First time I've seen this Weblog, and frankly, I like it.

We have a Reality Blog that cuts through the hot-air of partisan fluff and distortion.

Roger might enjoy reading the short History post that gives the baby-boomer crowd something other than Pro-Sports to think about. It is not accidental that we are a great nation, and Jefferson & Madison would be proud.

Pick any post and comment. We enjoy
people that think and talk straight. reb

www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com
 
Thanks, I'll drop by.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?