Saturday, February 24, 2007

 

Oscar Picks

Except where noted, and for all of the 'little' ones, you can take these to the bank.

Pest Picture-- very difficult to pick between The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine--I'm picking The Departed but fluff might win.

Best Director--Martin Scorsese

Best Actor-- Forrest Whitaker

Best Actress--Helen Mirren

Best Support Actor-- It will probably be Eddie Murphy but it well could be Alan Arkin

Best Supporting Actress--Jennifer Hudson

Best Foreign Film--Another difficult one with a pick between Germany's The Lives of Others and Mexico's Pan's Labyrinth.

Best Cinematography--Emmanuel Lubezki for Children of Men (because of the single take tracking shots) although it's just possible Vilmos Zsigmond for the bad The Black Dahlia could take it for his whole career.

Original Screenplay--Michale Arndt for Little Miss Sunshine.

Adapted Screenplay--William Monahan for The Departed.

Best Long Documentary--An Inconvenient Truth

Best Short Documentary--Two Hands

Best Live Action Short--Eramos Pocos

Film Editing-- United 93

Makeup--Pan's Labyrinth

Art Direction--Pan's Labyrinth

Sound Mixing -- Dreamgirls

Sound Editing--Pirates of the Caribbean II

Visual Effects--Pirates of the Caribbean II

Costume Design--Marie Antoinette

Original Score--Alexandre Desplat for The Queen (as well as his other good work this year).

Original Song--Listen from Dreamgirls (but if politics reigns, it will be Melissa Etheridge's eminently forgettable I Need to Wake Up from Gore's science fiction film.

Animated Feature--Cars

Animated Short--The Little Match Girl

UPDATE: The always difficult choice for art direction was a successful choice (and the spelling mistake above corrected). Gregory Peck (as Atticus Finch) beat O'Toole in '63 when he was up for best actor in Lawrence of Arabia. Just thought you might be wondering. Make-up--Pan's Labyrinth, right again. Animated short--always just a guess for me--escaped me. I guess it would help actually to see them, but nowhere shows them, that I know about. No sweep for my guesses.

UPDATE 2: It was in fact Alan Arkin and not Eddie Murphy (darn that Norbit); the German film over Pan's Labyrinth; and the Etheridge song over anything from Dreamgirls. I was 7 for 10 in the bigs (with tiebreaker) and with the three I missed I mentioned by name the real winner as a distinct possibility. I feel vindicated for my bragging.

Comments:
you need to proofread :)
 
What?
 
Good picks Roger.

I am so glad I never got around to taking you on on this one.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?