Monday, March 19, 2007

 

Horrible News From Washington

A recent study indicates that 36% of the adult residents of the District of Columbia are functionally illiterate. That means that over one third of the people who live in our nation's capital can't actually read. That's well above the average of just over one fifth everywhere else in America. I can make fun of those people here, because they can't read this to know, but I won't.

My Catholic friends who went to Georgetown in the 70s say that sounds about right, based on their experience.

I think 20% is a crime, that a third of the adults in a school district that now spends more than $15,000 per pupil per year is very disheartening.

I'm sorry but I'm too bummed out about this to make a joke about the DC city government or Congress, or the Presidency, for that matter. I don't think George Bush the younger is dumb, but I do believe he has a learning disability not dyslexia.

Comments:
I suppose the BA from Yale and MBA from Harvard don't mean much (the Bush bashers just chalk that up to Dadddy's legacy), but I seriously doubt anyone with a learning disability could possibly learn how to fly the F-102. Or any other military aircraft, for that matter.

Anyhoo...after years of abysmal management (Marion Barry, anyone?), I think the new mayor, Adrian Fenty, just might get things moving in the right direction. If not, it won't be for lack of trying.
 
Depends on the seriousness of the learning disability, don't you think? The MBA from Harvard is a gold test, no one gets out of that program without serious smart effort.
I know nothing about Fenty, but based on such serious sociological treatises as HBOs The Wire I have no real hope for East Coast cities. I'd be glad to be wrong.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?