Saturday, April 21, 2007

 

Geek Festival Version 3.2

I was kind of underwhelmed by the Star Fest today, but I passed on hearing Leonard Nimoy to watch a first try of the Heroes pilot. Here are some photos with comments.

Some of the guys go to great lengths and expense to dress like storm troopers from the Star Wars series.

When the guys dress up like that they are, to me, indistinguishable from the extras in the movies. Some of them even have a sort of loudspeaker in their helmet to make them sound more authentic.

There is a lot of testosterone in this sort of costuming. They have weapons and armor as fantastic (in the original definition of the word) as anything you see at these things regarding a warrior past of some a-historic period. Generic norsemen, generic barbarians, generic pirates (I'll get to the bloody pirates later).





It's similar when they're not storm troopers, but still dress like outtake extras from Star Wars, like this sand person on the cheap and rather unlovely fish woman..





Some are more successful than others.









Some get high marks for effort, like this mini Chewbacca.














And this Halloween Vader is cute.












Even a simple costume for a fan of Firefly/Serenity has to cost something for him to dress as a brown coat (better than a brown shirt I always say).




Or a Fifth Element wannabe, who has to cut big holes in some orange rubberized fabric for a hint of a costume.















But here's a simple costume. Arthur Dent from A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The ultimate slacker costume--you just wear what you have on in the morning--PJs, bathrobe and towel. I could pull that one off except for the near total lack of PJs and terry cloth bathrobes anywhere in my house. I do know where my towel is, though.

The thing I just don't get are the pirates. What the heck has that to do with Science Fiction? I do like the blue girl better than a green girl. As Eddie Murphy said in Raw, if the girl is green, there's something wrong with her vagina (except he used words that would have gotten Don Imus fired).

















Finally, here's local radio personality Reggie McDaniels putting the touch on Kate Vernon, Battlestar Galactica's late, somewhat unlamented Ellen Tigh.
One more day--hope it's fun.

UPDATE: It wasn't that fun. I am really sick of actor stories. Amazing fact: Kate Vernon is the daughter of John Vernon, Dean Wormer in Animal House. I don't see the resemblance, thank the Lord.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?