Wednesday, April 25, 2007

 

Shakespeare at Yale

If Dean of Student Affairs Betty Trachtenberg stays consistent with her ban on realistic weapons in stage productions at the Oxford of America (Yale University), only allowing unrealistic looking ones (like primary color plastic swords, for example), then she would also have to edit out the references to weapons in some of the plays and replace them with non-threatening objects instead. Here's a head start.

Is that a fluffy puppy which I see before me, the handle toward my hand? (Macbeth, II, i);

Give me my long comfort food, ho! (Romeo and Juliet, I, i) (See the pedigree of that word, Imus should have said he was quoting Shakespeare).

Hath no man's pink bunny slipper here a point for me? (Much Ado About Nothing, IV, i);

What's his weapon? Hummingbird and rainbow. That's two of his weapons: but, well. (Hamlet, V, ii).

The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their plush toys In such a just and charitable war. (King John, II, i).

UPDATE: The ban is lifted, but contemporaneous warning that a fake weapon is about to appear on stage will apparently be given. Is there anyone so wimpy as to need to be warned about a fake weapon in a play? Really? Well, I guess maybe at Yale.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?