Sunday, April 29, 2007

 

This Day in American History

On this day in 1862, New Orleans fell to Union forces during the Civil War. I'm fairly ignorant about the war in the West but I've always thought the Confederate forces did a really poor job here. There was little chance the Confederates could have won a protracted armed conflict with the Northern states, but there was almost no chance after the fall of New Orleans. The only chance would have been had the Democrats won the election of 1864 and brought the troops home from the South as they promised in the campaign. Plus ca change...

Labels:


Comments:
R,

Plus ca change w/ a sedilla under the c.

As ever,

T
 
Thanks, my French is next to nonexistant. I can't make my machinew type a sedilla but I'll change it.
 
R,

The Union officer in charge of NO during its occupation was Benjamin Franklin Butler, whose daughter married an Ames whose direct lineal descendant is one Edward Amyes Ames currently residing in Riverdale and Livingston Manor, NY together w/ my sister, Jane Eleanor Susan Sokolow.

It's a long way from General Order No. 28 and I. myself, would never imprison a champagne magnate unless there were bubbly for all, or at least for me.

T
 
Despite his being known as the Beast or the Brute, I've always liked Butler for the long period during which he was a good Republican. He wasn't much of a prosecutor however, it is his poor performance which is credited with getting Andrew Johnson acquited in the Senate. Butler was the 1884 presidentail candidate of the Greenback-Labor and Anti-Monopoly parties, which polled Dennis Kucinich like numbers--so he kind of ended with a wimper. Cool that you're an in-law to his kin.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?