Wednesday, May 30, 2007

 

Fred Thompson to Run for President

The Politico is reporting that Fred Thompson, former Tennessee Senator and actor, will actually run for the office of President and announce on July 4, 2007. Remember that the Politico also reported that John Edwards would bow out of his waste of time run due to the turn for the worse health of his wife.

I'm just not that excited. Because I had seen a lot of Ronald Reagan's movies, I was not a fan and it has taken me years to come to grips with the fact that he was a pretty good President despite his limited acting chops (there's no doubt the man was very handsome--never more so than in Dark Victory when he was 27 years old). So I still have a prejudice against actors in politics. I've seen a lot of Fred's work too. I think I'd rather have a former governor as my President.

Labels:


Comments:
Roger,

you like this guy ?
 
Rog,

Does that mean RR or do you mean Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee?

T
 
Mark, I'll vote for Fred Thompson if he wins the nomination. He's OK. Tony, Huckabee is OK, but right now I'm 50/50 Giuliani/Romney.
 
Mitt has reversed course to appease and lost my confidence.

Rudy had the right stuff to run NYC. I am not sure if he has the right stuff to run the USA.
 
I figure Thompson will be the nominee. Less negatives than the rest. He is in a dead heat with Romney right now before he has even started campaigning, and Giuliani is only a few points ahead of them.

McCain is fading again.

It'll be Thompson. You'll see.
 
The ex-pat may be seeing our politics clearly. I'm willing to write off McCain but neither Romney nor Giuliani just yet. Tony, is mayor of NYC more difficult or less difficult than governor of say Wyoming, or Arkansas?
 
R,

Mayor of NYC is infinitely more difficult than being ogvernor of any sate except perhaps CA or NY, itself. That said, I am reminded of a line from "Limo," a novel by Dan Jenkins. The protagonist meets a women w/ whom he is immediately smitten. He asks how he can get a hold of her. She responds: "I live on a small island in the North Atlatic. It's called Manhatten."

T
 
The idea that Rudy was some kind of brilliant mayor of NYC is more myth than substance. When he left office, he left a budget deficit of 4.8 billion dollars ( despite which he approved the city building the Mets and Yankees new stadiums as one of his last acts). After 5 years of Bloomberg, there is now a 4.4 billion dollar surplus.

Felonies have decreased by more than 25,000, fire and traffic fatilites have decreased, and highs chool graduations are significantly higher. Not to mention the fact that the huge racial divide caused by Rudy (41 shots) has improved under his successor.
 
I wouldn't write off any of them yet, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

We shall see.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?