Tuesday, March 11, 2008

 

This Day in the Short History of Ignoble American Abandonments


On this day in 1942, having completely screwed the pooch in the defense of the Philippines from Japanese invaders during the early, dark days of our involvement in World War II, General Douglas MacArthur left Corregidor, pursuant to direct orders, for Australia, later vowing: "I shall return." It was a lot more uplifting than: "Sorry, I can't take any of you with me." For the Americans and Filipinos left behind, the suffering had only just begun.

He did better later.
The corn cob pipe never caught on, but the cap low over aviator dark glasses became the height of military fashion even to this day.

Labels:


Comments:
Don't forget gay fashion as well.

..... not that I'm an expert or anything.
 
I'm sorry, Mike, I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge in the matter. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I don't even know what you're talking about.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?