Wednesday, September 28, 2011

 

Where I Don't Criticize Solar Power Generation

The feds just authorized a $737 Million loan guarantee for a (small) solar power plant in Tonopah, Nev. Oh great, you say, another Solyndra debacle. No, I say, this is a horse of another color. It's not worthless old intermittent photovoltaic power cells but a concentrating solar power (field of mirrors aimed at a central tower) outfit using the very latest in molten salt technology. So not intermittent at all. Seems a little pricey for 50 full time jobs, but I'm OK with this technology. (I'm particularly interested in the base power output, operating costs and longevity of the power plant, all things we don't fully know yet, despite other plants of this type around the world).

The criticism that Nancy Pelosi (not Speaker of the House, D--Haight Asbury)'s bro-in-law is connected to the project rolls off my back like water off a duck. Is there any evidence that her relationship to him got the solar collectors the loan or made it easier? I've heard none. Are companies who have some, any, connection to one of the 535 federal legislators forbidden from dealing with the government?

I like it that one of this sort of new energy economy plants is getting built. Deal with it, purists.

And I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari, Tahachapi to Tonopah.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?