Tuesday, December 31, 2013

 

On the Cusp With a Question

It makes no practical difference to me that in a few minutes an adult will be able legally to purchase marijuana here in Colorado (at least state law legally, but you'd think the feds have bigger fish to fry); I don't use it, but I do have a question.

The price in the grocery store for marjoram or oregano, plants that are probably as difficult to grow and process as marijuana, is between 4 and 5 dollars. The price for pot, while it was illegal, was eight to twenty times that, because it included the risk factor for the grower/seller in that he or she was in danger of arrest and prosecution for producing and selling the marijuana.There was a market clearing price which the willing seller and willing buyer would agree on and the buyer was necessarily willing to pay for the risk factor to the grower/seller.

Tomorrow, there will be so small a risk factor that we can proceed as if there is none, but the growers/sellers will still price their product much higher. I can see including any sin tax that the Colorado government puts on it, but I can't see still paying for the no longer existing risk factor.

So if I'm right, prices should plummet over the next several months. I guess I'll have to visit a store to see the prices now and in the future. I'll update if I'm right.

Labels:


Comments:
I'm probably one of the few people in this country who can honestly say that they've never used marijuana (or any other illegal substance -- well, maybe beer when I was under 21, back in horse 'n buggy days). Never had the urge.
I'd rather let people use whatever they'd like to use (with the caveat that if they've OD'd and are dying the sidewalk it's not my problem.)
I'm having a good time sitting on the sidelines, watching the circus!
 
Today I saw 20 guys, who looked like the Platonic ideal of stoners, lined up at the dispensary on Evans near DU buying "legal" pot. There is a circus element indeed.

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?