Thursday, April 12, 2018

 

The Falling of the Mask and Scales



I looked at my new lawyer's card the other day. I've been a lawyer since 1985, and I was handling County Court trials as an intern for about a year before that; in fact, I had to interrupt a trial to go get sworn in as a lawyer. And recently I'm somewhat depressed by the changes I have seen over the past 33 years.

Let's take the current special prosecutor. I have seen three of these before Mueller. They all sucked. In America, when a crime is discovered, our police of all kinds have a duty to investigate and find the criminal. Then the government lawyers try to convict the alleged perpetrator. That's justice.

The special prosecutor does it backward. Here is a person we want investigated, see if you can find any crimes. That's the Soviet method of 'justice.'

Here is an article by a fellow lawyer who is a law professor at Cornell.

One thing he points out in his sound criticism of the Mueller task force is the left's reaction to the raid on the offices of the President's long-time personal lawyer. This part of the NYT's diatribe hit home:

A raid on a lawyer’s office doesn’t happen every day; it means that multiple government officials, and a federal judge, had reason to believe they’d find evidence of a crime there and that they didn’t trust the lawyer not to destroy that evidence….

There was a time when the review by the magistrate/judge of the investigator's or prosecutor's detailed and sworn-to application for a search warrant was good enough for me to believe the need for the search was legitimate.

But that ship has sailed.

I don't trust the FBI. I don't trust the DOJ. I don't trust many magistrates to effectively hold the line against baseless searches. Our once valued criminal justice system here has become hopelessly corrupted.

That's very sad commentary. I'm not to Daniel Greenfield despair yet, but I get closer every week.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?